Here you go my all time top 9 barn wedding venues in Kent & Sussex.
If you want a wedding that marries (geddit) some traditional elements whilst still allowing you to put your own stamp on it forever, barn weddings may be the solution to all of your problems. Most barns come as a complete blank canvas, with only the quirks of the structure itself to guide you in your styling – perfect for creative couples who want a stylish day that’s elegant, yet relaxed. Full of rural charm, they’re perfect as a rustic wedding venue.
There’s an abundance of beautiful barn wedding venues in Kent (and one sneaky one in Sussex that’s too good to ignore so it’s slipped its way into this list! Shhh) which I’m lucky as a Kent based wedding photographer to know well.
See my top 8 barn wedding venues in Kent & Sussex below:
- Elmley Nature Reserve – We’re starting off with an absolute firecracker in the form of Elmley, a barn that’s situated literally in the middle of a National Nature Reserve. The Kingshill Barn has a large window overlooking the marsh, or they have an open barn facing an outside courtyard. They can also set up a glamping village for you, to make the most of that full weekend hire. Not only that, but you have free reign with your suppliers, so you can make your day as personalised as you want. Perfect!
- Preston Court – This is just one of the world’s top 10 barn wedding venues – no big deal. Preston Court is a magical venue that you really have to see to believe, and I totally urge you to go see it. The venue is encircled by ornamental lakes and gardens and is full of totally enchanting, surreal features like carousel rides, vintage mechanical organs and a moated island, as well as its own church and, of course, the barn!
- Ruffnyes Barn – Ruffnyes is anything but rough – with the original oak timber beams on show, it’s a 16th century barn full of beautiful rustic charm. The barn is light, bright and airy, with a gorgeous lawn for a champagne reception and garden games. It looks equally as beautiful with a bright colour scheme as it does with a muted, creamier colour palette – it’s a bespoke bride’s dream.
- The House Meadow is a melee of beautiful areas, all offering something different but equally stunning for your wedding. Horseshoes Barn is a cosy barn for up to 110 people, suitable for both your ceremony and reception. In addition to the barn, though, you could have your ceremony at the Gazebo on the lake, a stunning structure jettying out into the open water. Blessings can be held at Woodland by the Lake, or underneath the Ancient Oak Tree. PLUS you can pitch a tepee, marquee or circus tent in the divine meadow itself – the possibilities are endless!
- The Cherry Barn – Ok, so technically it’s based near Rye in East Sussex, but the Cherry Barn is just too beautiful to miss out on. It’s a 17th century barn that’s recently been converted into a wedding venue, situated on a working farm. With high ceilings and beautiful beams, it’s a total spacious stunner.
- Ratsbury Barn – Ratsbury Barn is situated in an actual Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, bringing all the loveliness and romanticism that our gorgeous British countryside has to offer. And if you’re not quite feeling the quintessential British loveliness yet, the little red footbridge over the lake looks like it’s come straight from a beautiful oil painting – it’s a dream to photograph!
- Odo’s Barn – Odo’s Barn is a really unique barn venue with incredible views- on a clear day, you can see France across the Channel, and Rye and Winchelsea. There’s also the Bilsington Monument onsite, a giant obelisk that makes for some pretty cool photos. But enough about the outside – the inside its beautiful, with fully panelled walls and high vaulted roofing. It’s a total rustic wedding dream!
- The Great Barn, Rolvenden – This gorgeous 18th Century barn is full of character and rural charm, providing you with a magnificent space to be able to have the barn wedding you’ve always wanted. The main barn has a slightly raised stage area too which is perfect for feature décor or a band to raise the barn roof.
- The Oak Barn, Frame Farm Benenden – Is a beautiful recently renovated grade II listed barn in the heart of the Kentish Weald. Set in a valley you couldn’t get a pretty spot to get married. And last, but obviously not least here are the all important website links to my top 8 barn wedding venues in Kent & Sussex – Elmley Nature Reserve – The Great Barn Rolvenden – Odo’s Barn– Ratsbury Barn– The Cherry Barn – The House Meadow – Ruffynes Barn– Preston Court The Oak Barn